Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Boy band brothers

I’ll be going to see the Jonas Brothers perform at the Chance in Poughkeepsie on Thursday evening. The concert experience won’t be for me but rather for my soon-to-be-9 years old daughter, who has been talking about almost nothing else but this concert for the last few weeks. I'll be bringing her and her 9-year-old friend, and I hear a bunch of her other friends from school and camp will be also there (with parents in tow).

Radio Disney has been talking up the Jonas Bros nonstop, and playing their songs around the clock. From a parent's perspective, they're OK, in a non-threatening but still cool boy band kind of way. According to this story, Radio Disney's VP of programming considers them a "clean Green Day." To me they sound like Gin Blossoms meets early Squeeze.

Sean McMann has more info about JB promotional stuff on his blog.

My kid wanted to add: "Mom, everyone knows the Jonas Brothers. They did the Baby Bottle Pops commercial. And the Meet the Robinsons song." (The link goes to the video.) And even I -- the square mom whose idea of good music is listening to my old blues records and Brazilian bossa nova -- recognize their song Year 3000. Whew ...

No comments: