Friday, June 22, 2007

Warning: Big hair ahead

Did you see this article in the Poughkeepsie Journal today?
1980s fashion rollback -- Rejoice retro dudes & divas: Roller boogie is resurrected

Darn. I just got rid of my ‘80s clothes. (I haven't been wearing them. I was storing them. But I’m in the middle of a 3-step program to curb my packrat tendencies. That would be: step up to the closet/dresser/attic/box/pile on the floor, step away with item, step over to big plastic garbage bag, repeat …) So if you're into cutting-edge, visit my town’s recycling center, which is where all my apparently-trendy-again clothes went.

I wouldn’t want to revisit the fashion trends of my youth (although the decade itself was loads of fun and full of firsts: living on my own in Europe, first job, first new car, first apartment ...) I think retro fashions mainly have appeal if you weren't born before the first time they came around. I read this in the article and my initial reaction was ick: "We're definitely seeing '80s as the latest retro influence, from high-waisted jeans to super bright neon colors to big hair and the return of perms - spotted on both males and females," said Carla Avruch, director of consumer insights and trends at market research firm The Zandl Group. Uggg. I’ve spent the past few decades fighting my hair's natural tendency towards bigness.

And as they say, you can’t go home again.

No comments: