Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A day for green-thumbed moms ...

A press release I received from Clermont State Historic Site posed a great question: Why give Mom a bouquet of flowers, when you can surround her with an entire historic garden? Indeed, speaking as a mom (who is crazy about gardening) I know I’d rather have something I can look at – and cut flowers from – year after year. Not that I’d turn down a nice bouquet … too. ;-)

In the current issue of Hudson Valley Connoisseur magazine, we list a few great events taking place over Mother’s Day weekend that combine gardens and moms. There’s something special going on Sunday at Clermont State Historic Site, of course, and that’s a Mother’s Day Tour and Tea that will tell the story of the last matriarch of the Clermont estate, Alice Livingston, and the experiences she shared with her two daughters in the gardens at Clermont. Site horticulturalist Jane Lehmuller will lead participants on a leisurely walk through some of the seven different gardens on the estate, which is now owned by New York state. The tour will end with a tea service in the backyard of the 250-year-old mansion. Admission is $5 per person. Please call 518-537-4240 for reservations. Clermont is located off Route 9G near the northeastern Dutchess-Columbia county border.

Another event going on this weekend is the annual plant sale at the Berkshire Botanical Garden in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday. I’ve attended this sale in the past and it has a very nice selection of plants in a lovely setting.

There is also a Mother’s Day plant sale being held by the Verplanck Garden Club at Stony Kill Farm, 79 Farmstead Lane in Wappingers Falls, from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday. More info is at this Web site.

Did I miss anything in the region? If you know of other Mother’s Day plant sales/garden events, please share them with me here. I haven’t yet decided how I am going to spend my day.

No comments: