Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Vrooom ...the Ferrari sound

I read an interesting item today about a 1961 Ferrari Spyder that sold for $10,894,900 over the weekend -- apparently the highest price ever paid for a vintage car at auction. The story is at this Web site.

Anyway, it reminded me of the first time I saw a Ferrari in its "natural habitat" -- speeding on the track at Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, Connecticut (it's close to Millerton, NY). What gorgeous cars! I'm still a novice to the sports car world but now I can usually recognize when a Ferrari is near me by the sound of its engine. As a friend once told me, nothing else sounds like a Ferrari.

You can see lots of super cars this weekend at the Grand-Am GT Classic at Lime Rock -- I've attended the Memorial Day events at Lime Rock in past years and it's been loads of fun. LOTS of fancy cars that you can walk right up to and look at, and even a few well-known faces. ;-) Visit the Lime Rock Web site for the weekend schedule.

Dan Pietrafesa has an interesting article in today's Poughkeepsie Journal about a local businessman who is going to be driving in this weekend's races at Lime Rock. You can read it here.

No comments: