Thursday, October 18, 2007

Farewell Anna ...


I read in today’s news that the actress Deborah Kerr has died at age 86.

Among her many notable roles was that of Anna, the governess in the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical The King & I. Last Christmas, a friend surprised me with the 50th Anniversary Edition DVD of the classic 1956 film of the musical starring Ms. Kerr and Yul Brynner. The film stands up to time, and is a favorite of my pre-teen daughter.

The musical has good memories for me: I was part of the children’s chorus in a Dutchess County production of the musical way back in my elementary school days. I also had the good fortune to see Yul Brynner play the King on Broadway during the mid-1970s. I can’t recall who played the role of the governess in that performance – to me, Deborah Kerr will always be Anna.

No comments: