Thursday, May 31, 2007

Bubblehead

I was recently asked about my preference in Champagne, and it reminded me that the April-May edition of Hudson Valley Connoisseur will only be on sale at area Barnes & Noble stores for a few more days because the June-July issue has arrived. The April-May issue features the magazine’s wines columnist (and self-proclaimed “bubblehead”) Michael Weiss, who has an informative piece on Champagne along with reviews of six of his favorites.

Like Michael, I adore Champagne (which can only come from the Champagne region in France to carry that name – if it’s produced elsewhere then it’s “sparkling wine”). But I admit I also have a weakness for other bubblies, especially Italy’s Prosecco and Spain’s Cava. Locally, Clinton Vineyards in Dutchess County creates several méthode champenoise sparkling wines, including their newest – a blend of Seyval Naturel and Nuit, Clinton’s Wild Black Raspberry dessert wine. It all sounds delicious. Viva les bubbles!

No comments: