Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Good Food, Good Idea

It’s time to sign up for a CSA. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture, and it’s basically like joining a purchasing club at a local farm. The membership fee helps the farmer with his or her advance costs. In return, members share the farm’s fresh produce throughout the growing season (usually through weekly drop-off or pick-ups).

I’m trying to decide between joining a CSA near where I work (to make it easier to pick up produce) and one in northern Dutchess where I live (because I like to support my local businesses.) In any case, CSA membership is a high priority this year, partly because I no longer have the time to maintain a vegetable garden but mostly because I just think it’s a good idea.

Local CSA programs include The Poughkeepsie Farm Project, Hearty Roots in Tivoli,and Phillies Bridge Farm Project in New Paltz. For a CSA list that is searchable by zip code, visit www.localharvest.org/csa

No comments: