Monday, April 30, 2007

Opah!


When I studied at the University of Bonn in Germany (many years ago), I lived in an apartment building that housed a number of international students. Two of my friends (and neighbors) were from Greece. On Sunday afternoons, Jorgos and Alexandros used to cook wonderful meals to remind themselves of home – and I was lucky because they would often share them with me. Because of my two pals, I developed a real fondness for Greek cuisine. But I never really learned anything about Greek wines. That’s why this e-mail from Chef Ric Orlando from New World Home Cooking in Saugerties made me take notice.

“The Chef’s Having Fun Spring Wine Dinner Season’s Last Event: All About Greek Wine and a New World Global Pairing Menu.”

Yum!

The dinner starts at 6:30 p.m. Thursday (May 3) and will feature Sophia and George Perpera, owners of AllAboutGreekWine.com, and Michael Weiss, (Culinary Institute of America wine instructor and Hudson Valley Connoisseur magazine’s wines columnist.)

“In this dinner, instead of creating a Traditional or Neo- Greek menu, I chose to do what I do best— designed a global menu to pair with the Greek Wines,” Ric says. “In this manner you can truly appreciate the food friendliness and simpatico nature of the wines. I love these wines with my food! Note that I had to honor the Greek Mezze in course one, however!”

Wines and Menu

Spiropoulos Mantinia
Old World Pikilia Plate of Taramosalata, Melitzanosalata,
Feta Tzatziki with grilled pita

Pavlidis White
Thai style fried soft shell crab, cucumber noodles, Thai basil, coconut smoothie, peanut sauce

Boutari Kallisti
Fricassee of Langoustines and Lamb Sweetbreads, Morels, Leeks (or local ramps if they are in yet) and Spring Peas

Boutari Evinos
Slow and Low Roasted Duck, Potato Torta, Piquillio Pepper, Roasted Garlic, Ripe Olive sauce, parsley salad

Boutari Grand Reserve
El Norte Rubbed and Grilled Lamb, “Slang Jang” relish, hemp nut tortilla, and three chile salsa

Emery Efreni
Primarily Goat Cheese Cake, pistachio foam and grilled muscat grapes

Dinner is $65 plus tax and gratuity.
Reservations are required
Call 845-246-0900

No comments: